The County You Live, Work And Play
New Graveyard Opens At North Of Strathclyde Park
A new cemetery for Motherwell and Bellshill was officially opened by Provost Jim Robertson.
The service of dedication for Bothwellhaugh Cemetery was led by Rev. Father James Grant of Holy Family RC Church, and Rev. Michael Lyle of Viewpark Parish Church. A commemorative stone was unveiled by the Provost.
North Lanarkshire Council nvested around £4 million in creating the new facility, which has capacity for 1800 lairs.
Located at the north of Strathclyde Country Park, the new cemetery has been designed to minimise its impact on the local environment. The main building has solar panels, which generate electricity for the cemetery, and a ‘brown’ roof planted with grass and wildflowers. Rainwater is captured and used for water supply points throughout the cemetery and for water closets in the building.
Within the cemetery grounds, there is seating throughout and two ponds have been created as part of the surface water drainage system to attract wildlife, providing areas for families and friends to visit.
“Bothwellhaugh Cemetery has been designed to create a peaceful, pleasant environment for families and friends to pay their respects and remember loved ones,” said Councillor Helen McKenna, convener of the Environmental Services Committee.
“With both Airbles and Bothwellpark close to capacity for new lairs, this new cemetery will provide facilities for the communities of Motherwell and Bellshill for the foreseeable future.”
A second phase of development will provide space for a further 800 lairs in around eight to ten years and in the long-term, there is capacity for another 2000.